Thursday, September 5, 2013

Science Notebooks

We have spent quite a bit of time, but we have our notebooks all set up and ready. I made some changes from last year. Notebooks are still going to be an essential part of learning, but I've made some improvements that will help us better (I hope).

The first 2 pages are for the table of contents, which is 3 columns, Date, Title, Page #. The front cover also has the expectations and the rubric I will use to grade notebooks.

There is also an index at the back, this is used to put words and ideas in for reference, not to define words, but I may try that later. There is also a ribbon bookmark and a large envelope taped into the back for unfinished work. We haven't used the bookmark yet, but I can have them mark the page an assignment I need to grade is on, so I don't have to search for it. I hated that last year.
Each section is marked with a divider tab on the top of the notebook. I just used a 1.5"x1.5" piece of construction paper and packing tape, it seems to be working. We have a section at the beginning for "Nature of Science" and one at the back for "Bellwork." The units will each have their own section too.

 At the beginning of each unit we design a cover page. This is mine :) They do lots of drawing or graphic representations, but they get graded on their use of color, their creativity, and their effort; NOT ability. Most cover pages we have a very specific design based on what we will study, but the ideas and creativity is theirs.
 Within the sections, all notes and labs are started on the left hand page. Right hand pages will be for pictures, graphic organizers, handouts, and data.

No comments:

Post a Comment